Hi! My name’s Heidi. I’m a student from Portsmouth University and am currently undertaking my placement year at Tikit, working in the Support department in a Business Admin role. I will be writing a monthly blog about life here in Support from my perspective and the day-to-day activities of the department.
I’ve been here nearly a month now and am really enjoying myself. Although getting used to these long days is a bit of a struggle coming from the student life! Tikit’s Support department is a really busy environment, full of clever problem solving types! I have yet to witness something the team cannot solve.
I have become involved in a variety of things already. I’ve written articles for Tikit’s website – clearly they trust me too much! I am helping with the preparation needed for the next ISO 9001:2008 audit in October. This is something the Support team have proudly achieved for the last 7 years. They invest a lot of time and commitment into this accreditation so I’m looking forward to understanding how it positively impacts the business and our clients. And just in case you don’t know, ISO 9001 is a quality management system built around processes and procedures. For organisations to achieve this certification they must meet the high demands of the ISO standard.
Something else I am involved in, along with the rest of the team, is the Support Charter. Here we discuss ways to become a stronger team and work better together. We reviewed the previous charter and condensed it down to the most important values:
- Know your colleagues
- Be respectful and supportive
- Communicate openly and honestly
- Be fair to others and take responsibility for your actions
- Make time for regular support meetings
- Share knowledge
These were suggested by the team without any influence from management.
But after nearly a month in the job there are certainly some other more pressing lessons that I’ve learnt:
- The fire alarm gets tested every Friday afternoon and as much as I try to prepare myself, it will scare me every time.
- It is frowned upon to use the downstairs toilet if you are based upstairs and vice versa.
- There is widespread panic in the office when we run out of milk – I can’t bear to imagine an office without hot beverages. Carnage!
All in all, it’s been a very interesting couple of weeks and I am excited for what lies ahead and the other projects I could potentially be involved in. Everyone has been very welcoming and I hope to make some friends during my time here.