Home / GC Where does the time go?
GC Where does the time go?
Understanding what your team’s time is spent on is as crucial to in-house teams, as it is to outside counsel.
Back in the day, in-house counsel gave a lot of work to external firms but nowadays, driven by cost pressures, it is more typical for corporate counsel to take care of the most complex, business critical issues in-house.
Carpe Diem has been built from the ground up and we believe that it is more future ready than any other comparable system on the market. It’s been developed to make the most of technology advancements not just to allow them.
External firms are still called on, but will generally do less work. At the same time secondees can be brought in to supplement the in-house team as required on specific projects. Lastly, standard volume work can be sent offshore to lower cost resources. In other words corporate counsel is using a blend of resource solutions to get the job done!
But, how do you manage all of these resources? How do you know when you are going to need them? And importantly how do you convince the business that to deliver a project on time your team is going to need additional support?
This is where time recording comes in. The reason lawyers that work in a law firm record time is clear – the firm needs to be paid for all time worked on a matter and in a timely manner to remain profitable. But for in-house teams this is not applicable. However, what if you could easily extract accurate and digestible data that tells you who in your team is working for which department, on which matter and how long each element of the project will take? This would mean that you could:
- See a snapshot of workload over a period and plan optimal allocation of resources
- Plan for the use of external resources ahead of time and therefore negotiate the most cost effective rates
- Give the right work to the resource that is most efficient
- Prove your team’s value to the business as a whole with granular information on the split of your team’s resource against different business areas
- Track and make visible who is dealing with what.
This is all possible if you record time!
Tikit Carpe Diem is an industry leading time recording solution that has a unique combination of features:
- Tracking team activity
- Forecasting and workload management
- Expenses and disbursements recording.
These powerful capabilities are all delivered through the same interface and available anytime, anywhere and on any device, so if you have teams that work in different locations or that travel between locations the application is always accessible and always consistent from a user perspective. This also has the added benefit of driving user adoption with very little training needed.
The business case to your internal IT teams
Specific legal applications that have the power to assist legal professionals to be more efficient and demonstrate effectiveness have historically been out of reach for in-house teams. But the era of cloud technology enables any team to use these tools even without a specific IT resource or large IT budget.
Pay as you go
Using a cloud-based solution means that there are no capex costs to cover and you pay on a subscription basis. This means that implementation is fast and you only pay for what you need as you need it.
Getting you set up and running
With cloud software the benefit is that you are up and running very quickly with minimal assistance required from your IT team.
Ongoing assistance and updates
Our international support team will support your team remotely, as and when you need it. And when new functionality and updates are available to enhance the application we can deliver them direct to you.
Scale up and down
Cloud applications give you the flexibility to add users as your team grows.
Tracking team activity: A complete record of worked time
Tikit Carpe Diem ensures contemporaneous tracking of team activity by providing the ability to capture time the instant it is worked and on whatever device you have access to at the time.
- Multiple Smart Timers can be active at any time, so that users can easily log time when switching to a new task
- Running timers follow users when they move devices from work, home or when mobile
- Time recording embedded in Word and Outlook means users are auto prompted to capture time
- ‘Time Finder’ functionality auto populates a user’s activity based on their digital footprint and provides intelligent prompts to fill the gaps
- Chronological views help to piece whole days and weeks together so that you can see the whole picture
- Available anytime, anywhere and on any device. This easily enables ‘out of hours’ time capture that might otherwise be lost.
Forecasting and workload management: Ensure efficient use of time
Balancing and allocating resources is vital in order to make use of all of the talent you have available to you.
Tikit Carpe Diem now allows the forecasting of time, so that you can gain insight into the level of resource and expertise required to fulfil new projects, so that you can plan for the future better.
- Provides comprehensive dashboards for reviewing work allocation/ resource availability by individual, team, office etc
- Gain insight into work patterns, areas of low usage and areas under stress from too much work
- Develop tactical initiatives to drive work to under-utilised areas
- Allows dynamic reallocation of work to those with spare capacity.
Record expenses and disbursements: Complete capture of costs attributed to a project
As well as an inclusive record of time worked to understand the full resource cost of a project or matter you need to have an appreciation of all expenses and disbursements incurred.
Tikit Carpe Diem now allows you to apply the same level of immediacy to cost capture that it has brought to time capture – all through the same easy-to-use interface and available anytime, anywhere and on any device.
- Using the same easy-to-use interface as for time recording means there is only one interface to learn to compile a full record of all of the resource and costs attributed to a project
- Photos of expenses receipts can be uploaded while mobile, ensuring a complete expense entry as it is incurred.
Why Tikit Carpe Diem?
Carpe Diem has been a market leading timekeeping application for the better part of 20 years and since the launch of Carpe Diem’s ‘next generation’ application back in 2015, the pace of innovation and adoption has accelerated at record pace. The needs of users have changed and the service demands of clients have increased performance pressures, so the Carpe Diem development roadmap has reflected this and focused on on usability, compliance, forecasting and automation.
Tikit Carpe Diem has been engineered to take the latest technologies into account
- It is scalable and can grow with your firm
- Has been stress tested to support over 20,000 timekeepers with 800,000 time postings a day and 160 postings per second
- Tikit Carpe Diem’s intuitive interface is consistent across devices to reduce training and increase acceptance
- Can integrate and compliment other leading industry applications including NetDocuments
- Carpe Diem complies with the highest security standards and is a MobileIron AppConnect-enabled iOS application. This provides Carpe Diem all the benefits of being resident in a MobileIron protected secure container.